1Unik Portable Display


Ok, so this is one of those projects that, once finished, seems quite simple.

But it all started with this question: What to use as a -rather- large display, sturdy enough, that I can move around (so it's not too heavy), best if I can carry it on my two wheels trolley?
And also, quite important, that shows the kind of work that I do by itself, too!

Ouch.

There were several ideas, some try-ons, a few upcycling possibilities... but none of them seemed to 'answer' all the questions in a satisfactory way. And of course, time was quickly ticking, as the deadline for the exhibition approached! Aargh. Grunt.

And then I checked my stock of old furniture again, and suddenly I saw it!

An old, battered, stained painter's wooden ladder from the beggining of the 20th century: Of course! Gorgeous piece, not too heavy, foldable... Just needed to restore the most damaged bits and enlarge the steps with 'proper' shelves. So simple, really.

-THE MAKING
(right) The VERY old ladder, 'before'. -the missing step wasn't going to be replaced: it left a perfect gap, in fact!
(left) Brushing, replacing damaged nails for strong screws, adding missing bits of wood -and general restoration


(up) I dismantled this old narrow cabinet to use its gorgeous wood for the three long shelves
(right, up and down) Sanding one of the pieces taken from the cabinet -then I would cut them all to measure, and round their corners. Those slim, nice legs being sanded in the second picture came from a small side table. Turned upside-down, they would become the support for the bigger shelf.

(left) All the boards already cut and sanded- using a water-based dark stain that will preserve the lovely wood grain and still create a nice contrasted background for the exhibited pieces.


Painting the support-legs and the rest of the ladder white... but not so much as to cover the surface underneath! I was in love with the original chipped olive green that still prevailed in some areas, the darkened wood and the splashes of paint. So I applied the enamel paint unevenly, smeared or in blotches, trying to create a general white look and keepeing the 'grunge feeling' at the same time -not easy!

Then I sanded the whole ladder with a very thin grain sand paper, and protected it all with clear varnish.
Finally, securing the shelves and polishing their surfaces to get a smooth, satin touch.












-THE PORTABLE DISPLAY
So, the final piece measures 140x75x65 cm (open), and can be used both standing or leaning against a wall -for those situations in which I won't have that much floor surface. And of course, it still can be folded as ladders do, for easy-er transportation. I can't wait to give it a try -really soon!
I will use this display next weekend, at Giulia and LABA's amazing shop. For those of you living in the Barcelona area, I highly recommend you go check it up -They will be open all day from friday till sunday, offering drinks and snacks, a live band from Napoli (Italy) on Saturday night, and scrumptious discounts in their vintage & upcycled lamps and furniture! Sounds incredibly fun, and I'm thrilled to be able to be a part of it! -I will take pics and post about it later, for sure: stay put for the incoming news, thee hee.


No comments:

Post a Comment