Mary Poppins Floor Lamp

Here it is, my first floor lamp! There were a couple of other attempts before, but they didn't come to a happy -stable- end... and now that I got the hang of it, I am already working on a second one, thee hee.
Ok, so this one owes its funny name to the impressive shade, a huge vintage umbrella-shaped frosted glass that was originally intended for a pendant lamp. Its diameter measures 50cm, and it's very heavy!
So I 'lighten up' the whole look by pairing it with a chrome thin rigged pole and curved cone base (a 70s nice mix of classic and modern), and sheltered two bulb sockets underneath. Mary Poppins is crowned with a complex finial, which main part is also a vintage chrome rigged piece. It is 155cm high in total.

The Mary Poppins Floor Lamp, in detail:
The 'canopy' is made out of an inox bowl, covered with an aluminium pot lid and riveted with black extruded rubber. It can be seen through the glass of the shade, when looking from above.
I have tried to be consistent with the metallic-plus-black look throughout the whole piece: the extension of the tube is also chromed, as it is the tap cover for the base of the finial. Then, there are black rubber accents there too, and an old black bakelite piece (no idea from where it came from...). The bulb sockets, foot switch, cord and plug are black, and the legs of the plug transparent, to match the frosted shade! I cherish details, me.
Some close-ups with the lights on: This floor lamp is perfect for reading, as it gives plenty of light. And at the same time, if the rest of the room is kind of dark, it creates a pretty dreamy, dramatic effect, because the brim and 'nerves' of the glass shade seem to glow...
And to finish with, some pictures of the 'making of':

On the left, the main parts prior the mounting... I choose -and change- the small details when I have already started making the lamp, as I can only see their effect once the rest is set.

On the right -Ouch! One of the reasons why I always check and change the original wiring! This was a total disgrace...
I took it all out, cleaned the base, rewired -and added a rubber tube to the hole so the cord won't get damaged. There.
Polishing the vintage parts -they shine like new, now!
Drilling the holes in the bowl, then sanding the edges...
And one of the final stages: the wiring on top.


  1. Una preciosidad, vaya trabajo!! Nombre aprobado por unanimidad côté Fan Club de Bruxelles ;o)

  2. What a vеry good ρost аnd definіtely helped сlear my heаd ѕomewhat

    My ωeb blog: silver toe rings designs
    Also visit my weblog perfect toe rings

  3. I hope you will not mind me ѵisiting and thanking уou for your blog post
    - it hеlреd

    my page medical id necklace
    my webpage >