Frankenstein cabinet


Ok, so here it comes a big piece of furniture. I needed a mix of shelving unit and chest of drawers for my workshop, to be able to display some of the finished pieces and also keep the majority of parts that would otherwise be scattered around (eek).


The look goes with the rest of the room- see the Trash Tree on one of the walls? that is what I call the 'Frankenstein look'. I cherish scrap wood. And discarted pieces of furniture, uneven surfaces, cracked paint, drawers... lots of drawers! With different knobs each one of them, old and made out of china if possible... mmm.
I find particularly appealing the fact that, if you join all these motherless pieces with a little bit of wit, they all come together and give a harmonious picture.


The whole thing measures 195cm long, 45cm wide and 65cm tall- 145cm tall with the back part.


That main piece on the wall in the middle was a single bed board. Really nice... I just painted the wicker bits white so I could display the earrings better.


The sides were once the glass doors of a very fancy old cabinet with mirrored back, probably to display the china of one of the 'bourgeois' Barcelonian families... it was left for the trash truck on a street in Eixample neighbourhood- so sad I almost cried. I couldn't take the monstruous thing home, but I salvaged the doors. At least that.

The two main surfaces used to be the ending sides of one of those dinning tables that can be extended (I've used the rest of the huge thing to build up a kind of a sofa... I suppouse I could post that one too). The rest of shelving is made with painted boards. As some of them were already kind of cracked, I did the same with all of them. Lots of sanding, here.



The piece in the middle is made out of two bedside tables. I turned the big one upside down and trimmed it a bit 'cause it looked nicer and helped me rest the side boards better. The one on top was taller, I cut it in a half and fitted the side boards to it. *Note: there is nothing wrong in turning furniture upside down; in fact, once I've done it with my wardrobe I've found out that it gives great results (I guess I should make a post on that one as well).

Then, there are a lot of drawers that come from here and there: priceless when it comes to keep a little order in the mess of bits and bobs that I need to accumulate to make my things... I left some of them as they were and painted a couple white so the whole thing wouldn't look too 'heavy', but stressing the painted surface afterwards to help them blend in the trashy general appearance. The knobs, all different, also help with this. And they're fun.


The finishing touches are made with the cutting of some legs of chairs and the carved top trim of an old wardrobe (for the side shelves on top). I am still thinking if I'll keep those two legs on top (upside down again- see?) or change them for something else... I might add a couple of small drawers to the sides too. We'll see. For the moment, I am quite pleased with the result -and the amount of space and order gained in the workshop!.

1 comment:

  1. A-há, akí estabas!!! Me encanta el nombre, y supongo que Frankie te será muy útil. El montaje es puzzle total. Me cuesta imaginar el tamaño. Sigh, ké hacen ahí las jambes???´
    lafannúmbergüán-al-acecho ;o)

    PS: síiii, post the sofa, pliiiiiis

    ReplyDelete