UFO Table Lamp -A change of plans


I got this lovely ceiling lamp from the 1950s some time ago. It was missing the glass that should go in the hole in the center and was quite rusty; but I found the weathered look rather attractive, so decided to restore it: check the 'making of' section here below for the details.

The thig is, once the ceiling lamp was finished I suddenly realised that the interesting shade would be better displayed upside-down, in a table lamp... and so I changed plans and the UFO Table Lamp was born!

Measures: Height 36cm. The shade is almost flat, and 33cm in diameter.

The ceiling lamp in its poorly original state, plus the frosted glass piece that I got for it:
After a thorough cleaning, I cut the tiny metal loops so the new wire would pass through -and varnished the underside of the shade to prevent further rusting.



Changing the bulb socket for a smaller one, but keeping the 'old' style. Polishing the brass ceiling cup.



Wiring the lamp I used braided cotton cord in black) -and testing: passed!
The project should have finished here.... and then there was the change of plans!
I dismantled the ceiling bits and mounted the 50s shade into an iron lamp foot
 New wiring... and the table lamp is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment